Monument record ABK 001 - Poplar Farm, Church Meadow, Church Field (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1747 5516 (402m by 402m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ASHBOCKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Area between two ploughed out moated sites ABK 009 and ABK 010, both of which were trenched by Basil Brown in September/October 1949 and which produced evidence of structures. Basil Brown and S Page had fieldwalked here from 1946-1949 and had found pottery, mainly Rom, but some IA and some Med (S1)(S2)(S10).
1965: Further surface finds of pottery given to Ipswich Museum by A/C Little, RAF Woodbridge found (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S3).
1973: J A Linge of OS gave scatter of Rom and Med pottery found at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) to Ipswich Museum (S3).
December 1975: Med coarse ware including C13 and fragment of granite mill stone found by(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S4).
1976: Cropmarks visible of two square enclosures with wide ditches corresponding to the moats excavated by B Brown. Also field boundary ditches (S6).
1984: Metal detector finds include cut 1/4 penny of John (AD 1199-1261), bronze strap ends, etc and coarse pottery (S5).
The specific areas of the two moated sites are now listed as ABK 009 and ABK 010.
See also IA, Sax & Med.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15NE9, 1973.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX 79, 85, 89-96, 101, 102; XIII 16,17; LXXXIX 38; XCVI 98, 130,131,136,228,230; card index.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds list, map 1984 not included in above description.
- <R1> SSF5048 (No record type): Davy, Suffolk collection BM manuscript VIII, 19084, Folio 30 (copy in SRO Bury ?).
- <M2> SSF44965 (No record type): AP: ADH 5, ADG 3, 1976.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1947-163, 1947; card 1949-164, 1949.
- <M3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 965-29, 1965; card 1973-19, 1973.
- <M4> SSF44967 (No record type): Photograph: BIG 1-3.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Ashbocking Med, 1975.
- <S5> SSF16495 (No record type): Pounds K & Finbow P (IMDC), finds list and distrib map, October 1984.
- <S6> SSF18393 (No record type): SAU, AP ADH 5, ADG 3, 1976.
- <S7> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15NE10, 1973.
- <S8> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, (2), 206.
- <S9> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 300.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 15 2021 2:28PM