Monument record SUT 058 - A possible Prehistoric or Roman hut circle or possible Bronze Age or Saxon round barrow, Sutton Walks, Sutton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2920 4847 (1904m by 1169m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Ring ditch plotted on plan in (S1). Shown as circa 25m diameter. Within Prehistoric field system complex, SUT 057 and Iron Age & Saxon pottery scatters, SUT 046 (S1).
A ring ditch is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs taken in 1975, centred on TM 29144846. The ring ditch encloses an area roughly 14m in diameter and has no visible entrances. It is located within a possible Prehistoric field system (SUT 057) and is roughly 350m south-east of the Sutton Hoo cemetery. The ring ditch could therefore either be interpreted as hut circle of Later Prehistoric or Roman date or as a round barrow burial of possible Bronze Age or Saxon date. (S2-S3) Transcription of the aerial photographs available for the project was difficult due to the lack of visible control points and the previous monument grid reference has been recorded as TM29164846 in case this proves to be more accurate. (S4)
- <S1> SSF2927 (No record type): Bulletin of the Sutton Hoo Res Comm, 6, April 1989, fig 8.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/25 (CAP BUZ024) 24-JUL-1975.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/26 (CAP BUZ025) 24-JUL-1975.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 05/07/02.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 2:49PM