Monument record SDG 002 - West End Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 424 852 (82m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||SHADINGFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat, complete except for the S arm. Mainly waterfilled and in fair condition. Published survey (25 inch 1927) correct (C F Wardale FI 5 September 1962) (S1). Inhabited (S3).
31 August 1985: visited by Mr C L Davey (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), enthusiastic amateur. The enclosure type was rectangular. The length of the moat island was 65m and the width was 41m, assuming it was complete. Surface water supply. The house was probably very slightly higher than the "fields". The actual moat is in poor condition, the E arm does contain water while the N and W arms have silted up. House occupied. The site is approximately 375m W of the Willingham St Mary/Shadingfield parish boundary and about 1700m NW of Shadingfield church. He was unable to find the original moat entrance. He amended the 1:2500 map and visited the surrounding ponds. See sketch plans and photographs (S4).
Moat lies at the NW end of the former Shadingfield Common (see SDG 012).
April 2000: Moated area and adjoining earthworks (SDG 023) scheduled. Details in (S5).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48NW4, 1962.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : Davey C L, site report, 31 August 1985, plans and photographs.
- <M2> SSF41325 (No record type): Photographs : AXU 2-3.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 616.
- <S3> SSF18198 Source Unchecked: West Dr S E. ND. SAU (West S E), undated. SAU (West S E), undated.
- <M3> SSF41326 (No record type): Moats survey file :.
- <S4> SSF5000 Unpublished document: Davey C L, site report, 31 August 1985.
- <M4> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S5).
- <S5> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2009 12:42PM