Monument record SDG 003 - Moat Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 427 851 (138m by 115m)|
|Civil Parish||SHADINGFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Moat, inhabited (S1). Near parish boundary.
Three parts of a large quadrangular moat and, close to its external bank on the NE, another small one encloses an island; in the midst of which is a square pond (S2).
"Two waterfilled moats in good condition. Although obviously joined at some time they are now separated by a causeway. A pond which lay in the centre of the larger moat has now been filled in but there is no trace of the pond which, according to VCH, lay in the centre of the smaller island; it is possible that the pond of the larger island refers. There are the probable remains of a fish pond to the immediate W of the SW angle at TM 4270 8516. Published survey (25 inch 1927) correct". sic (Wardale C F FI 6/9/1962) (S3).
1 Sept 1985: site visited by Mr C L Davey, (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Building exists but unoccupied. Unable to find original entrance to moat. Surface water supply. Partial enclosure plan. Rectangular enclosure (assuming it was complete). Moat island length 90m, width 68m. No enclosure banks. Moat is in an area of rough cattle grazing. Parts of moat are dry and large areas of it are very overgrown. The smaller moat on the N side has a wooded island of dimensions 8m x 12m. The site is approximately 155m W of the Willingham St Mary/Shadingfield parish boundary, and circa 1530m NW of Shadingfield church. Ponds. Sketch plans and photographs (S4).
Planning application Waveney District Council W9042/2 Restoration of Moat Farm, Shadingfield, 1 November 1979 (S5).
Moat lies at the NW end of the former Shadingfield Common (see SDG 012). 1984: Late Med type sherds, including handle, oyster shells and cow humerus & rib found `under chimney' of `15th century fireplace' (S8).
April 2000: Main moated site and adjoining smaller example scheduled. Details in (S9).
- <S1> SSF18198 Source Unchecked: West Dr S E. ND. SAU (West S E), undated. SAU (West S E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : Davey C L, site report; (S5)(S6)(S7)(S8).
- <M2> SSF43188 (No record type): Photographs: AXU 4-7.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 616.
- <M3> SSF43189 (No record type): Moats survey file:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48NW5, 1962.
- <S4> SSF5001 Unpublished document: Davey C L. 1985. Davey C L, site report, September 1985.
- <M4> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S9).
- <S5> SSF22894 (No record type): Waveney District Council, planning application W9042/2, 1 November 1979.
- <S6> SSF18190 (No record type): SAU (Wade K),letter to Monkhouse L J District Planning Officer Waveney District Council, 14 November.
- <S7> SSF17957 (No record type): SAU (Carr R D), file note, 6/1/1981.
- <S8> SSF12194 (No record type): NWHCM (Milligan W F), Norfolk Archaeol index , primary record card, Oct 1986.
- <S9> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2009 12:44PM