Monument record FRS 004 - The Decoy; Decoy Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4171 5864 (374m by 298m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FRISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Remains of an old Decoy, long disused. It lies to the left of the road leading from Aldeburgh to Snape and Friston, and is on the property of Mr Wentworth of Wentworth Castle. It has not been used for 50 years. No particulars concerning it are now available (S1)(R1). Marked on OS 1st edition of 1837, survives as sub-rectangular ditched enclosure with ?pipes in 3 corners, within woodland (S2). Note Elizabeth Owles marks a 4 piped star shaped decoy on map at TL 425 585 notated `Decoy 1845' - possible second decoy? - check Tithe map, no trace on 1977 1:10000 OS map. Marked on Emanuel Baren's Map of 1753 (S3).
The decoy is recorded on the 1st edition 25" map as having four pipes, on at each corner (S4). The suggested possible second decoy site is therefore probably an inaccurate NGR instead, especially as TM 425585 is high ground and there is no apparent indication of a decoy in the low-lying ground nearby (S5-6).
- <R1> SSF15547 (No record type): Payne-Gallwey Sir R, The Book of Duck Decoys, 1886.
- <M1> SSF41103 (No record type): AP: OS 72057/64.
- <S1> SSF5053 (No record type): Day J W, `Suffolk Decoys', E Anglian Magazine, 40, February 1981, 172.
- <S2> SSF12564 (No record type): OS, 1:10000 map, TM 45 NW, 1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Snape)(S3).
- <S3> SSF21406 (No record type): Snape Historical Trust, "A match was run on Snape Race Ground", leaflet, 1992, ill.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 Frames 50-51-5052.
- <S6> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/72057 Frames 64-65.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2012 12:21PM