Monument record BRG 015 - Site of Barton Hall, Great Barton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8879 6706 (75m by 86m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BARTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Barton Hall, formerly property of the Bunbury's (also Mildenhall Manor). `Probably built about the beginning of the reign of James I by Robert Audley, who died in 1624, is now in the occupation of F Riley Smith. It contains a choice collection of paintings, and many drawings from the pencil of the celebrated caricaturist, H W Bunbury. A herd of deer is kept in the park in which the Hall stands' (S1).
Largely destroyed by fire 1914 (S2), park largely built over.
1997: NW corner of Hall ruins still stand to full height (S3).
May 1997: Evaluation showed that the service wing of the early 19th century hall survived from floor level and probably occupied a substantial portion of the site. No evidence of the earlier hall was found (S4).
1998: Confirmed that the walls of the hall survived up to floor level as a series of low brick walls which outlined the ground plan. There were two clearly separate buildings which had been laid out on different alignments. They are not contemporary as the walls of one cut through the other. Cut features interpreted as garden features. Series of interrelated slots in semi-circular course (glass fragments, brick and clay pipe in fill) (S5).
For ice-house, see BRG 013.
Also note Saxon coin hoard from garden - see BRG Misc.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <M1> SSF46790 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S1> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 16-17, plate.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4)(S5).
- <S2> SSF5161 (No record type): Dickinson, Little Guides, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF19696 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, May 1997.
- <S4> SSF51013 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 1997. Archaeological Evaluation Report. The Park, Great Barton.
- <S5> SSF58245 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 1998. Archaeological Excavation Report: Land adjacent to 'Clovelly', The Park, Great Barton.
- <S6> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2018 1:52PM