Monument record IKN 011 - Iken Decoy
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4178 5597 (341m by 325m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IKEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Decoy, set in a square shaped wooded enclosure to the right of Church Lane. Shown on OS map 1837.
1886: On the Sudbourne Hall Estate, `formerly belonging to Sir Richard Wallace Bart, and now the property of Mr Heywood. The decoy is situated near the source of the estuary of the River Alde, on its south bank and has six pipes'.... `It is about 300 yards from a road, half a mile from the River Alde and the land around it is in the owner's hands, that being attached to the Iken Hall Farm'.
`The decoy comprises 16 acres, the pond itself is 2 acres, the remaining 14 acres being marsh and underwood. Date when decoy was formed cannot be ascertained but it is shown on an estate plan made in 1807 and it is conjectured to have existed long previous it this. Many years ago it was fitted with nets for catching pochard' (S1)(R1).
Shown on Emanuel Bowen's map of 1753 (S2).
The six pipes refered are show on the Ist edition 25" map (S3) and a second enclosure ditch is partially visible on the east side of the square enclosure as is a possible access causeway visible extending southwards from TM 41845580 to TM 41795569.(S4)
- <R1> SSF15547 (No record type): Payne-Gallwey Sir R, The Book of Duck Decoys, 1886.
- <M1> SSF41218 (No record type): APs: OS 72057/61,62.
- <S1> SSF5059 (No record type): Day J W, `The Duck Decoys of Suffolk', E Anglian Magazine, 40, January 1981, 122 & 125.
- <S2> SSF21406 (No record type): Snape Historical Trust, "A match was run on Snape Race Ground", leaflet, 1992, ill.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Snape)(S2).
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/717 Frames 3181-3182.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2012 4:04PM