Monument record BAW 032 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3465 4011 (96m by 89m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Church of St Mary. `Very broad W tower of the C14. The top is missing. W window with cusped intersecting tracery. No bell-openings. The church was largely burnt down in 1842 and rebuilt on a reduced scale. The N and S arcades, now in the outer walls, were of the C13 - alternating octagonal and circular piers with moulded capitals (S1).
December 1986: 1 Med sand-tempered sherd (and ?Preh flint flake) found at base of tree stump next to N wall at TM 3465 4004 (S2).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1974 (1988 ed), 90.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S2> SSF2975 Unpublished document: Burrows-Ellis R & J. 1990. Bawdsey sites and monuments. Burrows-Ellis R & J, `Bawdsey sites & monuments', ms, unpublished, circa 1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 30 1991 12:00AM