Monument record WLV 018 - Freston Park; `Old Tileyard' (late C15)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1820 3948 (171m by 95m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
June 1991: LMed/PMed tile kiln exposed in bank of River Orwell as layers of jumbled tiles amongst heavily burnt layers. Also large quantities of peg- tile over beach. No structure visible in exposed section (S1). According to late C15 document this area was known as "Old Tileyard" (S2). Adjacent area is all under pasture, however, there are numerous small depressions and irregularities across it - ?tileyard (S1).
Note ?C18 tile kiln, WLV 001, revealed on shore of Orwell in 1953, ? immediately to SE.
26 October 1997: "Erosion has eaten into the Tile Yard area of Woolverstone Park, leaving a quantity of hand-made bricks visible in the soil plus more washed out and cluttering up the shore. Last week a pattern of wooden posts was revealed about 2ft from the rather low bank (see sketch). Erosion has also bitten into the tile kiln site photographed a few years ago (this site or WLV 001?). Here the bank is about 10ft high and in it flat tiles form a vertical wall plus `roof' which is just below the turf. It is a large structure which may be worth another look. It is more or less in line with the deep hole in the Park which was probably the original clay pit" (S2).
Also recorded as WLV 037.
- <S1> SSF19947 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, June 1991, map & slides.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF10446 (No record type): Laverton, S.. Laverton Mrs S, June 1991 & report of October 1997, ill.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. CP/97/31/16 & 18, June 1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2015 12:27PM