Monument record LMD 068 - Holy Trinity Church
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8650 4677 (115m by 153m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Holy Trinity Church. Nave, chancel, N & S porches, W tower, Lady chapel and Clopton chapel to E.
The earliest standing parts of the church are the five W bays of the nave arcade, these are from the C14. The main body of the church is from the period circa 1460-1495 (S1).
The Clopton chapel is C15. When render was removed from the exterior N wall in 1990, the brick filled opening of a large window of the same general shape as the chapel E window was exposed. Survey showed it had an internal seat or sill height at the same level as the sedilia on the opposite S wall. It is suggested the bricking took place following major structural failures and repairs. Subsequently a memorial to William & Anne Clopton about 1625 was fixed to it.
Also see (S4).
Scarfe records this as a probable Domesday Minster (S3).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, The Buildings of England, Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: survey & report.
- <M2> SSF41639 (No record type): APs: NAU GDT 5, 6.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/13/13 & 15.
- <S3> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Domesday Churches', 3rd ed, 1999, map 21.
- <S4> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. especially p326-7, ills.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2010 10:39AM