Building record HNV 008 - Church of St John Lateran

Please read our .

Summary

St John Lateran church, Hengrave, has a circular tower probably early Norman.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8244 6857 (18m by 13m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86NW
Civil Parish HENGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

St John Lateran church, Hengrave, has a circular tower probably early Norman. The chancel is circa 1300. The rest of the church is circa 1419 & early C16. It has tall perpendicular S windows, the N side has an aisle and a clerestory. The S porch is of knapped flint and has a delightful S doorway with dainty fleurons, etc, in the hood-mould. A N chapel was built in 1540. In the chancel crowd the monuments of the Kytsons. The church adjoins Hengrave Hall in an emparked area (S1).

Formerly the parish church, now chapel to Hengrave Hall Conference Centre. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north aisle and chapel. Flint walling with limestone dressings, low-pitched metal-finished roofs. Circular tower in coursed flint, possibly pre-Conquest; clock, with hour-hand only, in west face. Round-headed north and south belfry openings. Later alterations, see (S3) for more details.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 262.
  • <S2> Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 823 685, JB27-8, 10 July 1996.
  • <S3> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 2 2018 2:57PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.