Monument record HNV 010 - Hengrave Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8209 6838 (2160m by 1650m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HENGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Acquired from the Crown in 1521, new hall built in 1525, visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1578 (S11, R1). A licence was granted in 1587 to Sir Thomas Kytson of Hengrave Hall to empark 300a of land in Hengrave, Fornham All Saints, Risby, Flempton and Lackford. The park was stocked with deer in the same year. In 1712 the extent of the whole was 500a. In 1822 the park contained 230a of pasture of which about 30a were in Fornham parish (S1, R1).
`Hengrave Park is shown and named on a map of 1588, which shows it crossing earlier open-field strips on the S side (S2, R1) the recently created park pale cut through the agricultural landscape, contained deer demonstrated by book of deer at Hengrave in 1587. A line of pollards were seen, which originally grew in a hedge, shown on 1588 map, removed by 1742. Possible fish pond to east of the moated hall (S11, R1)
Changes between 1742-1762 included: the kitchen garden was extended (See HNV 041), the bowling green and west garden remained but the use of the two south courts changes. The area marked as 'Dovehouse Yard' in 1742 became an orchard and the lower yard became a stable.
Sir Thomas Gage was asked to redesign the park in 1777 which included changes to the Hall (See HNV 013). 1769 map shows that the park still contained some formal features, the avenue survived with terminal viewing mount, also a circular pond and two subsidiary avenues. The moat was given a more serpentine form and a perimeter tree belt created. Parts of the west belt, planted in 1770s, contained hornbeam stools (for coppicing). In 1860s plants were purchased from London nurseries of Lee, Veitch and Waterer (S11).
See HNV 012 for treelined avenue.
By the mid C18 the extreme western part seems to have been disparked, as shown on maps of 1742 (S3) and 1769 (S4), but the whole area is marked as a park on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783m & on a map of 1778 (S6). In 1742 the Deer Park was said to contain 217a (S3). In 1769 the Deer Park contained 229a, but the whole area of the lands called `The Old Park' was given as 433a (S4).
The western boundary of the park, as shown on the OS 1st edition map of 1837 and the 1:10560 map is shown by HNV 011. Still marked as a park on the modern 1:10000 map.
For earthwork within park on AP, see (S5).
Geophysical survey carried out in 1999, at the front of the house inside the horse shoe ditches, and in the church yard (S8)
Small excavation over the western horse shoe ditch (S9)
Also test pits were dug by Reilly, but no location can be identified although 5 small bags of finds including pottery glass and a coin (Roman?) were found, now in parish box in the store.
See also HNV 011, 012, 013.
- --- SSF17479 (No record type):
- --- SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6".
- --- SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk. Full description and copy of 1588 map, 1769 map,.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S2)(S5), part tracing of (S3), part photocopy of (S4).
- <S1> SSF6733 (No record type): Gage J, The History & Antiquities of Hengrave, 1822, 4-5.
- <S2> SSF21867 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, P746/1 (photocopy of 1588 map).
- <S3> SSF21852 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, 712/58.
- <S4> SSF21853 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, 712/60.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF, APs, 3G/TUD/UK60PART1/F.12/5054, 5 Feb 1946.
- <S6> SSF50054 Map: Paterson Lt, Plan of Hengrave & Fornham Camps, 1778, PRO 15533.
- <S8> SSF50114 Unpublished document: Evaluation Archive. Reilly ,D, 1999, Hengrave Hall and park evaluation.
- <S9> SSF45004 Excavation archive: Excavation Archive. Reilly, D 1999, Archaeological excavation Hengrave hall.
- <S10> SSF50165 Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S11> SXS50146 Monograph: Williamson, T.. 2000. Suffolk's Gardens and Parks - Designed Landscapes from the Tudors to the Victorians. p. 23, p. 66-67, p. 73, p. 87, p. 142 (photo), p. 146.
- <S12> SSF21215 Bibliographic reference: Shirley E P,. 1867. English Deer Parks.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Parent of: 16th century Stables, Hengrave Hall (Building) (HNV 038)
- Parent of: Avenue, Hengrave Park (Monument) (HNV 012)
- Parent of: Church of St John Lateran (Building) (HNV 008)
- Parent of: 'Dove House' Hengrave Park (Monument) (HNV 014)
- Parent of: Formal Gardens, Hengrave Hall (Monument) (HNV 040)
- Parent of: Kitchen Gardens, Hengrave Hall (Monument) (HNV 041)
- Parent of: Park Lodge, Hengrave Park (Building) (HNV 033)
- Parent of: The Bath House (1839); Pump House (1797); Hengrave Park (Monument) (HNV 015)
- Part of: Hengrave Hall (Building) (HNV 013)
- Related to: 18th century extent, Hengrave Park (Monument) (HNV 011)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2021 3:37PM