Monument record IKN 013 - Yarn Hill (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 424 558 (124m by 337m)|
|Civil Parish||IKEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Yarn Hill - prominent hill in former marshes E of Iken church. Top circa 14m OD.
C Morley (early C20 antiquarian writer) notes, 'across crest north and south runs a bank 300 paces by 4' high, other banks from each end forming an enclosed area' (R1).
1992: Top under dense coniferous plantation, apparently former wood on top cleared in 1940s or 50s when may also have been ploughed. Flanks now ploughed. Also iron sword from base of Yarn Hill - see Sax.
A rectilinear enclosure of unknown date, measuring c.60m by 200m, is visible on air photographs as a continuous bank extending around the northwest quadrant of the summit of Yarn Hill (TM 42445595). No eastern side is visible although this may be masked by trees and a fenceline. A second rectilinear enclosure is also partially visible as a bank at the southern foot of the hill (TM 4248 5575). Although this second enclosure is masked by trees, the one completely visible side is 30m in length.
The former main wood on Yarn Hill was located on the northeastern side of the hill and was gradually cleared after the Second World War, as was a smaller copse at the southern foot of the hill.The hill was shelled fairly heavily during the Second World War when it was within a military training area.(S2-5)
- <R1> SSF11507 (No record type): Morley C, unpub ms, SRO (Ipswich).
- <S1> SSF19923 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, IKN 013, March 1992.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 4156/1/34.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/717 Frames 3180, 4179-4180.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 58/1674 F22 Frames 110-111.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/69011 Frames 16-17.
- FSF13152: (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2017 3:41PM