Monument record NAC 043 - Broke Hall and Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2252 3902 (1277m by 995m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Broke Hall. House said to be basically early 16th century but remodelled twice for Philip Broke, firstly 1773-75 by Richard Norris and secondly (a virtual rebuilding) 1791-92 by James Wyatt, giving the house its present castellated front with a slightly recessed centre (S1).
Not clear what survives from the early 16th century (S2). Original house said to have been built for Sir Richard Broke c 1526; apparently originally called Cow Hall (S3) or Cow Haugh (S4). Park not shown on Bowen's map of 1755 (S5) but is shown on Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S6).
The layout includes a tree-lined avenue leading from the entrance to the front of the house. Park landscaped by Humphrey Repton c 1792 for Philip Bowes Broke (S7). House rebuilt 1767 for Philip Bowes Broke and there are indications that in 1792 there was another rebuilding involving James Wyatt and possibly some reduction in the size of the house. Present house appears to date from this time. House and outbuildings converted into flats and maisonettes 1988 (S8).
A number of banks and ditches are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the hall and park, including a possible early 20th century re-routing of the ha ha in front of the hall at TM 22583910 which is not recorded on any maps, and two banks centred on TM 22833902 and TM 22203906 respectively. The first bank is located in front of the house and may represent the remnants of a pathway over the stream. The larger bank to the west of the house is much more substantial, around 150m in length, and its purpose is unknown. A number of ditches and a bank are also visible running north-west to south-east close to the ha ha and their purpose is also unknown. (S9) (S10)
- <S1> SSF10212 (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne J et al, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country House, vol III, E Anglia, 1981, 220.
- <R1> SSF23222 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S8).
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 370.
- <S3> SSF10307 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, Suffolk Traveller, rev ed of 1764.
- <S4> SSF23107 (No record type): White's Directory of Suffolk, 1844.
- <S5> SSF1400 (No record type): Bowen E, An Accurate Map of the County of Suffolk, 1755, SRO(B) M514/1.
- <S6> SSF7549 (No record type): Hodskinson J, Map of Suffolk, 1783 (rep Suff Rec Soc 1972, vol XV).
- <S7> SSF17596 (No record type): Repton H, Red Book - "Nacton in Suffolk, a seat of Philip Bowes Broke", c 1791. Original - Lord de .
- <S8> SSF5397 (No record type): Dunlop M, SIA Excursion Notes, 1988.
- <S9> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF HLA/686 4146-4149 02-MAR-1944.
- <S10> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1635 2016-2018 09-JUL-1946.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 2:24PM