Monument record ESO 007 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2366 6326 (89m by 56m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EARL SOHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Church of St Mary. Built C13-C14. Consists of chancel, nave, S porch, fine W tower. Details in (S1)(S2).
24 May 1823: `A few days since as some carpenters were employed in putting down a new fence in the churchyard at Earl Soham, in this county, they discovered a few silver coins about two feet below the surface of the ground; they are now in the possession of Rev H J Groome, and upon examination proved to be coins of the earliest date of Henry the 3rd... and yet in a state of very good preservation.' (S3). Listed in (S4) , deposited 1180-1247.
April 1997: Area defined on HER map amended to exclude garden of The Old Rectory.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 193-194.
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 278.
- <S3> SSF9931 (No record type): Ipswich Journal, 24 May 1823, 2.
- <S4> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Allen M (Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge), ms list of medieval coin hoards, 2002.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2010 9:33AM