Monument record SCV 006 - Church of St Lawrence
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4999 8089 (76m by 56m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH COVE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church of St Lawrence. There are no recorded Domesday churches for the parish of Cove, but it is thought to be included as one of the two churches documented for the parish of Frostenden (S5).
Isolated small church. Norman masonry & doorways, thatched nave and chancel with windows of circa 1300. Details in (S1)(S2)(S3).
1995: Nave shows signs of having been extended west, with Norman doorways resited. Hearth with lead dross and ash beneath tower floor (S4).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Observation report.
- <S1> SSF6196 (No record type): evsner N & Radcliffe E, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1974 ed, 426.
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 257.
- <S3> SSF6997 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, SCC, 1990.
- <S4> SSF19141 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, site visit, October 1995.
- <S5> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, Domesday Churches.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 29 1996 12:00AM