Monument record BCC 018 - Beccles
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 421 907 (564m by 962m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BECCLES, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Medieval town of Beccles. Urban by 1086 (S1).
April 1993: Area of archaeological interest/Med town defined for inclusion in Waveney District Plan (S2), includes Med chapel BCC 009, and church 013, Undated features 024, and Undated organic filled feature 014. Med(?) deposits adjoining 014 apparently 1.15m deep.
In view of the sparse archaeological data for Beccles the urban limits (S2) are based entirely on the Street Plan and topography. Also see (S3).
Further C18 (mainly) LBs extend along streets further S.
- <S1> SSF20876 (No record type): SAU, Wade K & West S, Suffolk Urban Archaeological Survey, ms, March 1977, appendix 1.
- <M1> SSF44678 (No record type): Towns file: (S1).
- <S2> SSF20883 (No record type): SAU, Wade K, map.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map.
- <S3> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Wade K & Dymond D, 'Smaller Medieval Towns', 162-3, map 74.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2010 2:37PM