Monument record SBT 016 - Church of St Peter
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3674 6954 (127m by 74m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SIBTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A church (or two churches, Domesday Vill of Wrabetuna also listed as having church) is recorded in Sibton in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Church of St Peter. Consists chancel, N chapel, nave, N aisle, S porch, W tower.
C12 - See Peasenhall Church/Chapel (PSH 008). Very late C12 S doorway and N doorway. C13 N arcade with circular piers (possibly from Abbey, SBT 002). Circa 1400 tower (originally with spire). C14/C15 main structure. 1825/1872 Restoration. Chancel rebuilt (S1- S3).
July 1998: Trial excavation of west end of nave to establish degree of Victorian disturbance to floor levels. Med levels probably disturbed - report in church file (S4).
- <S1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 346/347.
- <M1> SSF50051 Unpublished document: Church File. Excavation Report.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 419/420.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S4).
- <S3> SSF7021 Monograph: Goult, W.. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk, I-Y. Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk, I-Y, 1990.
- <S4> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SAU, Carr R D, Observation Record, 1998.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2020 2:16PM