Monument record CAM 033 - Cavenham Park; Cavenham Hall (PMed)

Please read our .

Summary

Cavenham Park & Hall, see details. Listed building.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7619 6926 (930m by 1116m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL76NE
Civil Parish CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Cavenham Park & Hall. Hall existed from at least 1773 (S6). (New) Cavenham Hall built 1898/99, designed by Andrew Noble Prentice for H E M Davies (S7) (S9). Demolished in 1949. (S8) H S Waddington (1840- 1870s) resident of Hall, MP for Bury St Edmunds (S1). Hall (still plotted) & Park plotted approx after (S2).
1836: On OS 1st ed `Cavenham Hall' named within defined Park but only buildings (substantial) shown appear to be in area of present `Park Cottage', which is listed (Grade II) as former stable block & coach houses of c. 1899 (S3) at TL 7616 6965 with curved driveway lead to them from SE & SW (from `Lodge') - presumably original Hall, as shown by Hodskinson 1783 (S4), parts of which may survive within the later stable block etc.
Occupied by Thos Le Blanc Esq in 1783 (S4) & (?) Sir Simon le Blanc (1748- 1816), Norfolk circuit judge (S1).
On Emanuel Bowen's 1755 map (same?) house shown and occupied by `Webb Esq' (S5). History, details and maps in (S6).
See also (R1).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.

Sources/Archives (11)

  • <R1> Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S6).
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S2> (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TL 76 NE, 1958.
  • <S3> (No record type): SCC, North C, April 1994.
  • <S4> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S6> (No record type): Taigel A, `Cavenham Hall', Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk, February 1994.
  • <S7> Article in serial: The Builder. 17 June 1899; 18 May 1901; 1 June 1901.
  • <S8> Article in serial: East Anglian Daily Times. 26 August 1949.
  • <S9> Bibliographic reference: Muthesius. 1904. Das Englische Haus. Muthesius, 'Das Englische Haus' Berlin 1904 (English translation Crosby Lockwood Staples, 1979).
  • <S10> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Apr 29 2014 12:49PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.