Monument record ACT 020 - Acton Place
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8813 4554 (1301m by 971m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ACTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Acton Place: Great house and parkland. Former home of the de Bures family (possibly Acton Hall - ACT 006), rebuilt by Robert Jennens (S6) but unfinished on his death in 1725. In 1674 listed as having 20-29 hearths. 1855: Sold by Daniel family in early C18 to Robert Jennens, who began erection of mansion, finished by his son, William, who died in 1791. Empty after his death, demolished c. 28 years ago (c.1825), except servants wing; extensive park now cultivated fields (R1). House shown on Bowens 1755 map (S1) as of I(J)ennens Esq and house and park shown as Acton Place, Willm Jennens Esq on Hodskinson 1783 map (S2). "Robert Jennens (died 1725) had built himself a very large mansion here. The size can be gauged from the only remaining fragment, a servants' wing, nine bays wide, with a central three bay pediment. Red brick, two-storeyed, hipped roof. The centre of the house, according to a painting of the C18 (see (S3) & (R2) photo 58a), was eleven bays wide and four storeys high, and had a three- bay pediment and a hipped roof. It was connected with the wings by one- storeyed quadrant arcades. It was pulled down in 1825" (S3). HER mapping after (S5). In 1907 described as `the residence of Mrs M Braithwaite, is a fine mansion... in an extensive park containing many noble trees (S4). For ice- house in grounds, see ACT 010.
The house itself was demolished in 1960 (S7).
There may be some vestiges of the walls or garden walls still intact.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- --- SSF1406 Cartographic materials: Bowen E. 1755. Accurate Map of the County of Suffolk.
- <R1> SSF23125 (No record type): White, 1855.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: enlargement of (S5)..
- <R2> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Bury, Photo of painting of Acton Place (C17/C18).
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 71, photo 58(a).
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 3.
- <S5> SSF15221 (No record type): OS, map, 1" to 1 mile, 1st ed.
- <S6> SSF5148 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, The Little Guides: Suffolk, 1957 ed, 48.
- <S7> SSF50186 Article in serial: East Anglian Daily Times. 5 August, 1960.
- <S8> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2016 11:14AM