Monument record KCC 023 - Kelsale Lodge

Please read our .

Summary

Kelsale Lodge, Listed building.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 3803 6721 (100m by 101m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM36NE
Civil Parish KELSALE CUM CARLTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Kelsale Lodge. Map of 1616 of the `late disparked park called Kelsale Park' by John Maddison (S1) shows the house surrounded by a small rectangular moat, with four other buildings, including a dovecote, in a yard to the E. A `bleaching yard' is shown adjoining the north side of the farmyard. The moat has now disappeared. The brick and timber house has a C16 core, remodelled in the mid C18, 10-bay brick barn with diaper patterning and small terracotta roundels with rampant lions (S2, S3, S4). This complex was the lodge for Kelsale Park (see KCC 021). In the C16 the park belonged, with some interruptions, to the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk. Sold by the Howards by 1611 to John Holland. Sold by 1620 by Sir Thomas Holland to John Bence of Ringsfield (S4).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich HA30 : 378/2.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of slide of (S1).
  • <S2> (No record type): Listed Building notes.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 313.
  • <S4> (No record type): Scarfe N, The Suffolk Landscape 1972, rev. 1987, 172.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Feb 2 2009 11:18AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.