Monument record MUN 018 - Large area of earthworks of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 696 642 (230m by 361m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MOULTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Large area of earthworks in meadows between The Street to W, River Kennett to E, Playing Fields and The Green to N and Church Road to S. Consists of banks, mounds, hollows & ditches including small enclosures (S1). Part of shrunken village?
Note Moulton had a market in use in 1227/8 (?) and a further grant of a market was given to John de Agreaus at French Hall (see MUN 031) manor (French Hall Farm owns this land and adjoins The Street) in 1297/8 (S2).
Needs accurate survey.
Area of playing field to N included as part of site due to liklyhood of levelling of former earthworks to create playing pitches.
- <S1> SSF20108 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, Field Report, April 1994.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/5/2,3 & 4 January 1999.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 1:17PM