Monument record STN 038 - Post medieval flint mines
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 800 859 (584m by 1010m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Flint mine complex. Extending(?) to Ling Heath complex (BRD 095) but probably earlier(?) and including STN 018. May also extend to STN 030 to E. Limits marked on HER map approximate only, based on known scatter of finds in area of partially surviving spoil (chalk mainly) dumps at head of mine shafts at TL 8000 8600 approximately (S1) and SCC APs showing chalk exposures on surface (S2). Detailed documentary and earthwork surveys needed.
October 1996: Rapid survey revealed knapped (probably from wedge gunflint production) and quartered flint. Most of area destumped and raked through suggested pits still occasionally partially visible. TL 8010 8575 approximately: Last two (or four?) open mine shafts infilled by Forestry Commission circa 1992. Two still visible. See (S3).
January 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Evidence of (presumed) post medieval flint mining, in part described above, is visible as earthworks, levelled earthworks and soilmarks on aerial photographs (S4-S5) and lidar imagery (S6). As described above, exposed chalk and lumpy ground is visible on the aerial photographs taken in 1986, centred at TL 8010 8610; a second area, centred at TL 8045 8590, is recorded as part of SHER STN 030. Lumpy ground, perhaps relating to flint mining, is visible on the 1981 aerial photographs at TL 8015 8612, and on the 2015 lidar imagery at TL 8035 8621. A small group of surviving flint mines (again, as described above) is visible at TL 8013 8563 on the 2015 lidar imagery; these have also been recorded as part of National Monuments Record TL 78 NE 81 (S7). The areas of exposed chalk, uneven ground and surviving mine shaft earthworks have been mapped by extent. The Monument Polygon defining the site has been amended to incorporate all of these areas, as well as the extent of the site as previously recorded.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 25th January 2018.
- <S1> SSF20075 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, 1992.
- <M1> SSF44632 (No record type): APs: (S2) in Ipswich.
- <S2> SSF21070 (No record type): SCC, 1:10,000 vertical APs, 43 86 116 & 117, 43 86 152 & 153, August 1986.
- <S3> SSF20161 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, Flint Mines: Rapid Survey, ms, October 1996, map.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Forestry Commission CUCAP RC8KT 062-063 02-AUG-1981 (Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 43 4386115- 4386117 01-AUG-1986 (Print).
- <S6> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S7> SSF55748 Unpublished document: English Heritage Archive record. Unique Identifier: 1057047, TL 78 NE 81; http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1057047.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2018 3:55PM