Monument record SFT 020 - Chalk Pit
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 946 689 (116m by 144m)|
|Civil Parish||STOWLANGTOFT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two lime kilns marked and labelled in chalk pit shown on 1884 OS map with adjoining small rectangular structures to south-east (S1).
Shown and labelled as `Limekiln' at TL 9464 6895 and `Old Limekiln' at TL 9468 6890 on 1904 OS map, both still with adjoining structures to south-east (S2).
7 August 1978: visited by David Alderton (Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society) but the pit was heavily overgrown and he couln't find a kiln. The owner told him it had been completely cleared (S5 - though see entries beneath).
At least one still surviving in August 1978 (S3).
Circular, red brick construction.
3 April 1981: visted by Michaeol Organ who reported "There are two kilns in the wood opposite the Howes pit. Both chambers accessible, one with difficulty" (S5).
2012: present condition unknown but pit frequently used by motorbikes (and quad bikes?) so structural remains possibly under threat.
- --- SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Jones John (SIAS), email to Pendleton C (SCCAS), 23 March 2012.
- <S1> SSF12903 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1892.
- <S2> SSF12905 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1905.
- <S3> SSF21244 (No record type): SIAS, Newsletter 20, December 1987.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map XXXIV.II.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 26 2012 11:27AM