Monument record TYN 052 - Possible rectilinear enclosures and field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2577 3814 (297m by 591m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Complex of field(?) boundaries and linear cropmarks with overlapping ditch boundaries, rectilinear pattern, including possible rectangular enclosure and small ring ditch. Extent to W and NE unclear (S1).
1996: Metal detector finds of 3 Rom and 2 PMed coins (see Rom).
The probable remnants of rectilinear enclosures and other linear features of unknown date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs in fields to the north-east of Loompit Lake, Trimley St Martin, centred on TM 25712820. The features are visible as ditches and are mostly aligned NNE to SSW and WNW to ESE, in some cases forming what might be the corners of rectilinear enclosures. There appears to be a concentration of linear features or possible field boundaries around TM 25663821. A small possible ring ditch of only 5m in diameter and a rectilinear enclosure around 10m wide are also visible in this area, at TM 25623820 and TM 25673817 respectively. The ditches do not appear to form a coherent field system. The features are roughly aligned with the Later Prehistoric or Roman field system to the west in Stratton Hall parish (SNH 005) but are also roughly aligned with the modern field system and therefore the date of the features remains unclear. (S1-S5)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL51) 22-JUN-1973.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BNL 51.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/6 (1658/141) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/7 (4506/44) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/13 (4506/50) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/9 (4506/46) 17-JUL-1989.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 4:23PM