Monument record TYN 055 - A possible linear trackway and field boundaries of unknown date are visible on aerial photographs to the north-west of Walk Farm in Stratton Hall par…
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2539 3971 (1158m by 897m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Trackway running NW-SE across fields and counter to modern field boundaries. Abutted by one (or more?) field boundary, traversed by another, parallel, field boundary. Visible on Aps from TM 2481 3986 to TM 2597 3926, where it meets present A1093 road (S1)(S2). Crosses enclosure TYN 030. Possibly continues to NE as TYN 056 and links to trackway complex Kirton 10(?).
A possible trackway and associated linear boundaries of unknown date are visible as cropmarks of ditches in fields to the north and north-west of Walk Farm, Stratton Hall parish, centred on TM 25073977. The possible trackway is visible as an extremely straight double-ditched linear feature which runs ENE to WSW across a number of fields and continues out of the project area. At least two other linear ditches have been mapped that appear to be associated with the possible trackway and join it at near right-angles. The date of these features is unclear but their form suggests that they are not Prehistoric in date and may even relate to modern drainage. The ditches also overlap with parts of the extensive Later Prehistoric or Roman field system (see SNH 005) which is visible mainly to the south, covering large areas of Stratton Hall parish. (S4) (S5) (S6) (S7)
The ditched features were formerly located in Trimley St Martin parish. (S8)
The lateral cropmarks referred to above are visible on aerial photographs continuing to the north and east (S9). These boundaries may be associated with a possible multiphase track or boundary, visible to the north at circa TM25134016 (see SNH 005). The eastern extent of the extremely straight possible trackway has been plotted from aerial photographs, running for approximately 590 metres from circa TM25433961in the west to TM25973926 in the east. The westernmost circa 300 metres is very similar in appearance to that described above, but the approximately 280 metres to the west are less clearly defined and appear to be composed of two phases of track. As the eastern length may be associated with SNH 005, the western length of the track may be associated with ditched field boundaries of probable later prehistoric or Roman date in the immediate area (SNH ???). (see S2, S10)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL73) 22-JUN-1973.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BNL 73; OS 92 364 170.
- <M2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. CP/96/15/7, June 1996.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/92364 170 27-JUN-1992.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. CP/96/15/7, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 3041-3042 06-JUL-1944.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 1F21 0390-0391 23-JUL-1963.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2539/3 (1658/79) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2539/13 (1767/06) 04-JUN-80.
- <S8> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 18/02/03.
- <S9> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2540/2 (RHF 11483/208/7) 27-JUL-1970.
- <S10> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2539/28 (EXC 16928/07) 13-JUN-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 3 2012 10:04AM