Monument record BRD 103 - Limekiln, Mount pits, Thetford Road

Please read our .

Summary

'Old Limekiln' mapped on 1905 1:2,500 OS map (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7899 8625 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL78NE
Civil Parish BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

`Old Limekiln' mapped on 1905 1:2,500 OS map on edge of former chalk pit (S1).
Note: a separate circular structure (kiln) mapped to N with associated (?) buildings and much smaller pit on c.1883 OS map (S3).
July 1994: Remains survive (of 1880s or 1905 kiln?), partially collapsed & partially infilled, towards top of existing slope in NE corner of existing massive chalk pit. Remains of vents/flues survive: structure as visible mainly of chalk block construction. No detailed notes made during rapid visit (S2).
Nov 2007: rapidly recorded (GPS location and single photo of part filled arched entrance(?)) by John Craven. Described as chalk built and circa 4m diameter (S4).
2011: On 13th June 2011, Oxford Archaeology East conducted an archaeological survey of the remains of an upstanding lime kiln located at Mount Pits, Thetford Road, Brandon. The kiln is located on the edge of a housing development site on the former Mount Pits quarry which has been subsequently in-filled to allow for the construction of a residential estate of up to 70 houses. The kiln is intended to be retained within the development area, to be protected through infilling and burial with the possible inclusion of an information board. The results of this survey will assist Suffolk County Council Archaeology Service to determine the strategy for clearance, infilling and burial of the kiln and its long-term preservation. The survey revealed the survival of part of a chalk-built kiln, depicted on early 20th century ordnance survey maps as an “Old Lime Kiln”. Despite its basic and traditional style of construction, the kiln is thought to date to the mid to late 19th century and to have fallen out of use by 1905. Cartographic evidence suggests it was one of two lime kilns associated with the chalk quarrying in the immediate area and is the last surviving evidence of the quarrying activity on the Mount Pits site. The shape of the structure in plan would indicate that the truncated chamber originally curved around a central void where the kiln “pot” would have been located. The openings on the south and western sides are where part of the chamber has been demolished. The original opening is likely to have been the square-headed opening recorded on the eastern side (5).
Chalk construction is somewhat unexpected for a lime kiln and presumably very rare.
Further documentary and expert research needed.
Possibly of national importance.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • --- Unpublished document: SCCAS. 2007. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Land off Thetford Road, Brandon.
  • <S1> (No record type): OS, 1:2,500 map, 1905.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S4).
  • <S2> (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, July 1994.
  • <S3> Map: OS. OS Map. c.1883.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Craven J (SCCAS), Nov 2007, ill.
  • <S5> Unpublished document: Fletcher, T.. 2011. Heritage Asset Recording, Post-Medieval Lime Kiln at the former Mount Pits, Thetford Road, Brandon, Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Oct 11 2017 1:39PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.