Monument record SUT 088 - Wood Hall (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3109 4464 (224m by 224m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Shown on William Haiward's map of Sutton, 1629, where it is named as `Woodhall' belonging to Mr Ffernlic. Map shows the house (E-shaped) and two other buildings to the north of a large square orchard, formally laid out, surrounded by a ditch or moat, with probable farm building on the west side (S1). House is Jacobean, E-shaped, two storeyed, with straight gables, mullioned windows (S2). `Interesting dove-house' mentioned in 1957 (S3). Orchard shown on modern OS map as longer N-S than E-W.
History of manor given in (S4).
See also Med.
- <S1> SSF21547 (No record type): SRO (Ipswich) JA1/54/2, `Description & platte of the town of Sutton...' William Haiward, 1629.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S1).
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 457.
- <S3> SSF5123 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little Guide- Suffolk, 1957, 332.
- <S4> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, The Manors of Suffolk, vol VII, 1911, 271.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 2 1994 12:00AM