Monument record LWT 379 - Normanston, Lowestoft, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 531 940 (463m by 263m)|
|Civil Parish||LOWESTOFT, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1908: Normanston: In his review of Palaeolithic implements of East Suffolk, W A Dutt (1908) illustrates five flints from `Cannon-shot' gravels at 27m OD, found in a pit a few 100m north of the main road from Lowestoft to Oulton Broad. These have not been traced, but form the drawing they appear geniune, one possibly a hand-axe. Some were rejected, but others were accepted by W G Clarke and A S Kennard, (S1-S3).
Formerly recorded as LWT MISC
- <S1> SSF5427 Article in serial: Dutt W A. 1908. Palaeolithic Implements in East Suffolk. Dutt W A, "Palaeolithic Implements in East Suffolk", Antiquary 44, 60-64.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 73.
- <S3> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22712.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 1 2022 11:17AM