Monument record FEX 088 - Brackenbury Battery site - Roman features and finds (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3188 3543 (332m by 426m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
December 1994: Rapid evaluation of single line of trenches traversing former Brackenbury Battery site, prior to construction of sea defences, located multi-period features and finds.
Major group of Rom finds and features and stratigraphy representative of part of large settlement/port. Pottery dates range from C2-C4 with a fairly high proportion of fine wares including imported Samian and Rhenish wares, and Nene Valley and Pakenham products. For details of finds and features see (S2). Also face pot fragment - for comments see (S3).
For early finds of Rom date from this site see FEX 053.
Also see Preh, BA, IA, Sax, PMed and Un.
- <S1> SSF19001 (No record type): SAU, Boulter S, December 1994.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <M2> SSF44684 (No record type): Evaluation archive:.
- <S2> SSF51424 Unpublished document: JN/ SB. 1995. Eval report. Coast Protection Scheme, Brackenbury Phase II, Felixstowe.
- <S3> SSF1436 (No record type): Braithwaite G, letter, August 1995.
- FSF19909: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19910: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19911: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19912: FLOOR TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19913: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19914: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19915: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19916: FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19917: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19918: METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2013 2:54PM