Monument record NHC 001 - Wade Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Large moat (or ringwork?), isolated, unoccupied, near parish boundary, oval (S1). Scheduled Monument.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 47231 90345 (109m by 83m)
Map sheet TM49SE
Civil Parish NORTH COVE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Moat, isolated, unoccupied, near parish boundary, oval/sub circular (S1). `Wathe Hall' (site of) on OS 1:10560, undated & 1927 1:2500 maps (S2). `The site of Wathe, or Wade Hall, ... was upon a circular entrenched position in the midst of marshes. The rampart rises from 2ft to 4ft in height, and the escarpment attains 10ft in some places. On the northern side the rampart has perished and the counterscarp of the fosse - which is 16ft wide - varies from 3ft to 4ft 6in; on the southern side are the remains of a revetment, but the whole work is trodden down by cattle' (S4).
Probably called after Robert Watheby, of Cumberland, who held it in the time of Henry II (1154-1189)(S10).
In 1327 the tax list of Worlingham cum Cove lists a Caterina de Wathe as paying 4s, which is an average payment for a manor holder so it looks as if she was at the hall, and suggests she took her name from the place.
`A sub-circular homestead moat partly water-filled. There is no evidence of building foundations within, but an earthen mound c.15m high lies on the W side, possibly a tower platform. Sherd of C13 pottery were found when the moat was widened some years ago at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), the owner. These were identified by Norwich Museum but their present location could not be ascertained' (S3).
1994: Uncultivated and heavily overgrown (S5).
1995: `Currently ploughed' (S6).
1995: Fieldwalking survey on ploughed surface located mainly partly glazed Med roof tiles and smallish amount of principally C13 - circa C18 sherds. Little C19/C20 material. Small amount of LMed-C18? bricks. Details in file (S1).
1996: Finds from metal detecting survey include two silver pennies of Edward I (AD 1272-1307) and one of Stephen (1135-1154) and lots of nails, some very large. Details to follow (S8).
1999: Scheduled. Moat of between 15m and 20m width, around ovoid central platform of up to 65m E-W by 48m, with internal bank of about 0.5m. Probably site of Wade Hall unti circa 17th century when present Wade Hall (to S of moat) was built. Details in (S9).
Monorial site or just possibly, in view of size and form and presence of Stephen penny, a ringwork (E Martin, pers comm 2009).

Sources/Archives (11)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, undated.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S6)(S7).
  • <S2> (No record type): OS, 1:10560, undated & 1:2500, 1927 maps.
  • <S3> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM49SE5, 1972.
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 590.
  • <S5> (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, field report, November 1994.
  • <S6> (No record type): Langran, J.. Langran J, letter to SAU, January 1995.
  • <S7> (No record type): Langran, J.. Langran J, Shipley S & Lazaretti P per SAU (RDC & CP), finds report, July 1995.
  • <S8> (No record type): Langran, J.. Langran J, April 1996.
  • <S9> Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Heritage, scheduling information, May 1999.
  • <S10> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk.

Finds (5)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 12 2009 4:21PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.