Monument record HUD 013 - Broxley (Broxstead/Broxtie) Park; Broxley Lodge; Broxstead Lodge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 721 516 (1170m by 1693m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HUNDON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A park is mentioned at Hundon in 1124 & in the late C13 (S3) and three parks in 1509 (S5). A keeper is listed in 1315 (S3). An extent of the manor and the park is given in the Inquisition after the death of Gilbert de Clare in the early C14. Deer park (one of three in Hundon) in NW corner of parish. Broxley Park, one of three in Hundon (also HUD 014 & 015), sold to Sir John Cheke in 1550, as part of the possessions of Stoke Priory, once belonging to Lionel Duke of Clarence (S3)(R1).
The Lodge (now gone) is shown on Hodskinson's map at TL 724 509 (?mislocated, though note recorded in a document of 1370-1 as 'a lodge at the gate to Broxted Park' may fit with this location) and on the 2nd edition 25 inch OS map, 1904, TL 723 513 (S2). Also shown as 'Broxstead Lodge' on other earlier OS maps at this location. The boundaries are described as `Broxley Park is westward of the Great Park having the same boundary on one side namely the road from Three Ash Farm to Scotch Green while its western boundary would again match with the parish boundary down to the road running from Barnardiston Hall to Scotch Green'. For Elizabethan - James I map of Broxstead Park see (R2).
Lodge was probably levelled for construction of airfield - see HUD 031.
Cited also in (S6)(S7)
- <R1> SSF10318 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby, Suffolk Traveller (2nd ed), 50.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF15210 (No record type): OS, map 25 inch 2nd edition, 1904, sheet LXII.5.
- <R2> SSF17322 (No record type): Public Record Office (map 3033 in index of maps of the BI, 1967) ref DL 31/1 MPC 1..
- <S3> SSF6242 (No record type): Farrer (E), `Deer Parks of East Anglia' SRO 18.9, 75-81, map.
- <S4> SSF17351 (No record type): Rackham O, `Medieval Woods', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 50-1.
- <S5> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S6> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks, 1086-c1600', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 3rd ed, 1999, 66-7.
- <S7> SSF58663 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R, 'Hunting Suffolk's Parks: twoards a reliable chronology of imparkment'.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 27 2018 2:24PM