Monument record HUD 014 - Hundon Great Lodge; Great Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 737 510 (2034m by 2257m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HUNDON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||STRADISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A park is mentioned at Hundon in 1124 and in the late C13 (S5). A keeper is listed in 1315 (S3) and three parks in 1509 (S5). An extent of the manor and the park is given in the inquisition after the death of Gilbert de Clare in the early C14. Northernmost of three adjoining deer parks in Hundon parish (S1). For deer park to the W, see HUN 013 and to S, HUN 015.
A Great Park with HUN 013 & 015, was sold to Sir John Cheke in 1550, as part of the possessions of Stoke Priory once belonging to Lionel, Duke of Clarence (S2)R1). Hundon Great Lodge, at TL 737 512, is probably the former Great Park lodge.
The park boundaries are described as "bounded on the east side by the road which runs form Hundon Hall to Stradishall Church and its western boundary the road running from Three Ash Farm past Scotch Green to Hundon. In the very middle of the ground approached from both of the two roads stands Great Lodge Farm evidently the ancient lodge of the park and on the northern portion of the ground is a group of timber called `Edmunds Hill'" (S1).
For Elizabethan(?) map of parish, with illustration of the lodge in perspective, see (R2).
Revised plotting on HER map (21/2/2008) after map of 1611 (?) in WH Smith Collection which shows Wooded empaled park with central Lodge, with various open avenues leading to it, various gateways in pale and enclosed area to SE (copy in parish file, same as R2?). Note: this mapping does not appear to entend as far N as Three Ash Farm (see above) buildings though possible to the associated land holdings.
Earthwork survival (and Lodge) need checking.
- <R1> SSF10318 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby, Suffolk Traveller (2nd ed), 50.
- <S1> SSF17346 (No record type): Rackham O, `Medieval Deer Parks', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, map 23.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S2).
- <R2> SSF17321 (No record type): Public Record Office (map 3032 in index of maps of the BI, 1967), ref DL 31/2 MPC 2.
- <S2> SSF6243 (No record type): Farrer (E), `Deer Parks of East Anglia', SRO 18.9, 75-81, map.
- <S3> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks, 1086-c1600', 1999, 66-7.
- <S5> SSF58663 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R, 'Hunting Suffolk's Parks: towards a reliable chronology of imparkment', 146-164.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 27 2018 2:28PM