Monument record HUD 015 - Estry (or Easty or Estey) Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 752 505 (1633m by 1623m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DENSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||HUNDON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||STRADISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A park is mentioned at Hundon in 1124 (?Great Park - HUN 014) and in the late C13 (S5). A keeper is listed in 1315 (S3) and three parks in 1509 (S5). An extent of the manor and the park is given in the inquisition after the death of Gilbert de Clare in the early C14. Estry Deer Park, one of three in Hundon Parish (also HUD 013 and 014) was sold to Sir John Cheke in 1550, as part of the possessions of Stoke Priory, once belonging to Lionel, Duke of Clarence (S2)(R1). The Lodge site is probably the same as Appleacre Farm, TL 750 506, shown as Easty Lodge Farm in 1904 (S1). Boundaries are described as `on the east side of this park lies `Estry Park' which on the north side runs a little into Stradishall parish by Gaymours Farm. Its eastern boundary is the road from Chipley Abbey to Denstone and from the map this may be only a trackway or lane, and the southern boundary the road from Chipley Abbey to Hundon Hall' (S2).
In 1408-10 recorded as having rabbit warren within it (S5).
For Elizabethan - James I map of Eastry Park see (R2).
Cited also in (S6).
- <R1> SSF10318 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby, Suffolk Traveller (2nd ed), 50.
- <S1> SSF12403 (No record type): OS map, 25 inch 2nd edition, 1904, sheet no XXII.6.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S2).
- <R2> SSF17323 (No record type): Public Record Office (map 3034 in index of maps of the BI, 1967), Ref DL 31/3 MPC 3.
- <S2> SSF6243 (No record type): Farrer (E), `Deer Parks of East Anglia', SRO 18.9, 75-81, map.
- <S3> SSF17346 (No record type): Rackham O, `Medieval Deer Parks', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, map 23.
- <S4> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S5> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks, 1086-c1600', 1999, 66-7.
- <S6> SSF58663 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R , 'Hunting Suffolk's Parks: towards a reliable chronology of imparkation'.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 27 2018 2:31PM