Monument record HRG 009 - Southwood Park; South Park; Carters Park; Southwell Park (1880)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 75 60 (1660m by 1936m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Southwood Park was once a separate parish (now incorporated in Hargrave)(S5).
Note: for building (extant in early C19) within an enclosure cropmark see HRG 006.
Documentary evidence for two deer parks in Hargrave mapped by Oliver Rackham (S1). The northernmost of these may be connected with Park Meadow and Hall Lawn as shown on the 1838 Hargrave tithe map (S2)
Southwood park appears to follow the parish boundary (S7).
Note Carter's Park and Southwood Park are named on OS maps. A group of buildings are marked and named on Hodskinson's map (S3) of 1783, of the present Southwood Park Farm, which is named Great Southwood Park on the OS 1st ed map (S4).
A 1761 deed regarding the mansion and 74 acres of land lately part of Southwood Park is held by the Suffolk Record Office (R1).
- <S1> SSF58578 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Deer Parks 1086-1602, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <R1> SSF7283 (No record type): Hargrave Deed, 1761, SRO (Bury), 762/9.
- <S2> SSF7284 Map: 1838/39. Hargrave Tithe Map and Apportionment. Hargrave tithe map 1838, SRO (Bury).
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF12830 (No record type): OS, 1st ed 1" map, 1836.
- <S5> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 162.
- <S6> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Hoppitt R, The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the 11-17th century, PhD Thesis, UEA, 1992.
- <S7> SSF58663 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R, 'Hunting Suffolk Parks: towards a reliable chronology of imparkment' p. 157.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2018 9:36AM