Monument record BSE 136 - Town Defences: NW section (PMed)

Please read our .

Summary

See Sax & Med for earlier town defence details.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8519 6441 (21m by 42m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

See Sax & Med for earlier town defence details. A wall is shown on Downing's 1740 map (S2), possibly fronting a depiction of the bank?, between the Northgate and St Andrew Street North. S of this the presumed line is shown as the front of a line of buildings (?). Warren's 1747 map (S3) is similar although showing less wall detail and having some variations. For excavated evidence of C17 wall see BSE 016 (S1). Elements of the (C17?) wall survive at TL 852 648 and possibly elsewhere.
For continuation to S see BSE 139.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> (No record type): West S E, PSIA, 32, 1970, 17-24.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2)(S3).
  • <S2> (No record type): Downing A, A new and accurate plan of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1740.
  • <S3> (No record type): Warren T, map, A Survey of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1747.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Apr 16 1996 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.