Monument record TAT 018 - St Mary's Hospital; Samford Poor Law Institution

Please read our .

Summary

Samford Incorporated Hundred Workhouse, erected in 1765-6.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 1360 3729 (96m by 176m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM13NW
Civil Parish TATTINGSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Samford Incorporated Hundred Workhouse, erected in 1765-6. For background information see (S1), with burial ground to east of road (S2). A hospital for infectious diseases is also shown (S3) which may have been a pest house like the building associated with Shipmeadow (SMW 002). It was built at a cost of 6,992 pounds 10s 1d (S4), with accommodation for 500 paupers. Alterations were made in 1819 and 1937.
In 1841 is held 191 inmates, and in 1912, 127 inmates (S5). Converted into hospital in C20.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2)(S3).
  • <S1> (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E (eds), An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 96-97.
  • <S2> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no LXXXII.14, 1926.
  • <S3> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no LXXXII.10, 1926.
  • <S4> (No record type): Shaw John, `The Finance and Construction of the East Anglian Houses of Industry', PSIA, 37, 1992.
  • <S5> (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: East Suffolk, SCC 1990.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 29 1996 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.