Monument record ONS 004 - Stow Union Workhouse; Stow Lodge Hospital; Stow Poor Law Institution
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 033 591 (431m by 233m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ONEHOUSE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Stow Incorporated Hundred Workhouse erected in 1781 - for background information see (S1). Shown on OS 1:2500 map in 1927 (S2). The cost of building is described by Shaw (S3). The overgrown paupers graveyard (graves marked by numbered wooden crosses) was cleaned and tidied by pupils and staff of Oakwood School, Stowmarket in 1975. Graves number between 1-200. Two large crosses containing number plates from decayed crosses were dedicated. The Register to identify those buried was not found (S4).
Workhouse converted into hospital in C20.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <S1> SSF5451 (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E (eds), An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 96-97.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no LVI.6, 1927.
- <S3> SSF21185 (No record type): Shaw John, `The Finance and Construction of the East Anglian Houses of Industry', PSIA, 37, pt 2, 19.
- <S4> SSF7025 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: East Suffolk, SCC, 1990.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2008 3:05PM