Monument record BLB 033 - Blythburgh Hospital; Blything Union Workhouse; Bulchamp Workhouse
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43950 76280 (348m by 208m)|
|Civil Parish||BLYTHBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Blything Incorporated Hundred Workhouse erected in 1766, for background information see (S1). The House of Industry was built at the cost of £13,446 18s 4d (S3). The Union Workhouse built at Bulchamp was partly destroyed by a mob during construction. The mob was dispersed by the military. Opened in 1756 to house 46 paupers. 352 inmates in 1767 and 264 in 1843 (S4).
Buildings shown on 1926 OS map (S2).
Converted into hospital in C20.
See BLB 052 for Burial Ground and DBA S5
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <S1> SSF5451 (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E (eds), An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 96-97.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no XXIII.11, 1927.
- <S3> SSF21186 (No record type): Shaw John, `The Finance and Construction of the East Anglian Houses of Industry', PSIA, vol 37, pt 2.
- <S4> SSF7006 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk, SCC, 1990.
- <S5> SSF57653 Unpublished document: Gardner, R.. 2002. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Blythburgh Hospital, burial ground, Bulcamp.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2017 12:59PM