Monument record OUL 006 - Lothingland Hospital; Oulton Poor Law Institution; Union Workhouse

Please read our .

Summary

Mutford and Lothingland Incorporated Hundred Workhouse erected in 1765, for background information see (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 5242 9542 (349m by 370m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM59NW
Civil Parish OULTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Mutford and Lothingland Incorporated Hundred Workhouse erected in 1765, for background information see (S1). Layout, buildings, and burial ground shown on OS 1927 map (S2). The cost of building is described by Shaw (S3).
Converted into hospital in C20.
At least half of the buildings shown on 1927 map appear to have been demolished.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
  • <S1> (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E (eds), An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 96-97.
  • <S2> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no IV.15, 1927.
  • <S3> (No record type): Shaw John, `The Finance and Construction of the E Anglian Houses of Industry', PSIA, 37 (4), 351-65.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 8 2017 3:25PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.