Monument record HCH 053 - Gallows Hill; The Wicklaw; Wicklow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 309 570 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HACHESTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Suggested site of the Wicklaw Meeting Place of the liberty of Ely's St Etheldreda - five and a half hundreds from circa 870 (or earlier) to circa C13 (S1)(S2). Still functioning as meeting place in 1160 when a grant was made 'in...multorum presencia apud Wychelau ' (S4). Use of gallows known from extent document of 1433 which names 'Wykkelowegallowes' (S2)(R1). 'Wittlow galows' are named in a rental of 1487 (S2). In 1791 Repton's Red Book for Arcedeckne's new Glevering Hall and Park landscaping has a design for a plantation on the Gull slopes to hide the Gallows from the view from the Hall dining room (S2)(R2), which would place the gallows further north than the area presently mapped as Gallows Hill. Gibbet shown occupied onRepton's map (S3).
Precise location unclear not mapped on HER map - Repton's map may help.
See HCH 013 for Roman & Saxon finds from 'Gallows Hill'.
Formerly recorded as HCH MISC
- <R1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Extent (Bloomville Hall Farm Estate papers), 1433.
- <S1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Warner P, Origins of Suffolk, 1996, 116 & 154.
- <S2> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Dyke G, letter to SAU, October 1983.
- <R2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Repton H, Red Book for Glevering (Hall and Park), BM, 1791, map.
- <S3> SSF50083 Unpublished document: Deben Valley Place Names. Study Group, Hacheston & Glevering, undated, ill.
- <S4> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Douglas D C (ed), Feudal Documents from the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds, 1932, XLI.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2018 12:17PM