Monument record WNG 028 - Wangford Lodge (1783); Shakers Lodge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 779 819 (129m by 62m)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`Wangford Lodge' (S1), named Shakers Lodge on 1836 (S2) and later maps. In centre of `Wangford Rabbit Warren' (S2). Surviving building now deserted, probably no earlier than C18 though may have replaced earlier Warrener's lodge (?)(S3) although a rectangular structure of circa 25 feet by 20 feet is shown laying circa 80 feet to the W in 1905 (S4).
May be related to 'Sekars' ditch, referred to on the Sale of the Manor in 1629, along with Puttocks pond (S5).
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland identified one lodge as marked on Hodskinson's 1783 Map and is named Shaker's Lodge on the OS 1st edition 1836 map. A site visit in 2001 showed it was a late 18th/early 19th century dwelling, with a well close by with its winding gear intact; this house is now in private ownership (S6).
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF12844 (No record type): OS, 1st ed one inch map, 1836.
- <S3> SSF20078 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, 1996.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, XII.12, 1905.
- <S5> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Munday J T, Notes & Photocopies.
- <S6> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 16 2018 2:13PM