Monument record BRD 354 - Flint quarry, Elvedon Lodge

Please read our .

Summary

Flint quarry for gunflint production. Formerly recorded as BRD MISC

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 79 82 (1000m by 1000m)
Map sheet TL78SE
Civil Parish BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Flint quarry for gunflint production. `Elvedon Lodge. The farm known as Elvedon Lodge is situated on the road from Brandon to Elvedon... A large pit is open close by in the boulder clay, which clay is used as a top-dressing for the sandy land. In the clay large flints are found, and it is very significant of the local origin of that deposit, that the flints are not cracked or weathered, and are suitable for knapping. Southwell (Mr N J, Brandon knapper of 1870s, illustrated in workshop in (S1)) found toppings, upper-crusts, wall-stone and floor-stone, and used many of them. Had these stones travelled far, or been much exposed, they must have become weathered and unfit for knapping, but although striated they are as sound as ever...' (S1).
Location of the large pit unknown - probably one of four shown on 1:2500 OS map/s (S2).

Formerly recorded as BRD MISC

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> (No record type): Skertchly S B J, `On the manufacture of Gun Flints', Mem of the Geol Survey of Eng & Wales, 1879, 14.
  • <S2> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, XIII.9, 1928.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 9 2018 3:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.