Monument record IKL 105 - Icknield Way; Weststow Road (1880s) (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 801 733 (3013m by 5737m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Earthworks aligned along route of Icknield Way (see Rom), parish hundred and district boundaries. Route shown on maps, possibly as early as 1575 (Christopher Saxton), and later, eg in 1783 (S1), 1836 (S2), 1884, 1904 (S3) and 1984 (S4).
Banks(?), especially on west side or underlying present trackway, yet to west of boundary line (!), mainly depicted on (S3) partially survive (S5) - about 5+m wide and 0.7m high (Colin Pendleton Sept 2002). Also recorded as IKL 172.
2015: Rapid earthwork survey noted the boundary bank (S6).
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Earthwork banks, of a probable Medieval – post medieval date, are visible on visualised lidar data (S7) along the supposed course of the Icknield Way. These banks have been recorded as part of IKL 364 and IKL 371 along with further banks identified from the Breckland National Mapping Programme Survey.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21th August 2019.
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF12862 (No record type): OS, 1st edition one inch map, 1836.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 maps, 1884, 1904.
- <S4> SSF12512 (No record type): OS, 1:10,000 maps, TL 87 NW & SW, 1984.
- <S5> SSF20805 (No record type): SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, 1996.
- <S6> SSF58497 Unpublished document: Cushion, B.. 2015. Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey, Icknield Heath (Part)..
- <S7> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2020 9:09AM