Monument record CUL 035 - Post Medieval garden canal, part of a large formal garden around Culford Hall.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8318 7012 (55m by 173m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Garden canal, part of a large formal garden around Culford Hall. Canal mentioned as `new' in 1698 (S1)(S2). The canal was aligned on the south front of Culford Hall and is shown on estate maps of 1742, 1791 and 1793 (S3) and on a map of 1778 (S5). Infilled when the present lake was created in 1795 (S4).
- <S1> SSF21825 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office (Bury), FL557/3/4-5.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2)(S5).
- <S2> SSF21983 (No record type): Taigel A & Williamson T, Culford Hall, report for SCC, n.d..
- <S3> SSF21505 (No record type): SRO (B) E8/1/10; private colln, Culford Hall; and SRO(B) P720/1, photocopies in (S2).
- <S4> SSF15448 (No record type): Paine C (ed), The Culford Estate 1780-1935, 1993.
- <S5> SSF50054 Map: Paterson Lt, Plan of Hengrave & Fornham Camps, 1778, PRO 15533.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2021 9:48PM