Building record IPS 286 - Ipswich Generating Station, Constantine Road, Talk Electric Centre, Ipswich.

Please read our .


Ipswich Generating Station and adjoining tramshed.


Grid reference Centred TM 1554 4427 (99m by 127m)
Map sheet TM14SE


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Ipswich Generating Station and adjoining tramshed. Assessed for MPP 1995. Built 1903 (& subsequently extended) to provide power to electrify the tramways and also electricity for lighting. Designed by Stanley Peach. Building has elaborate frontage one end (matching the tramshed); later extensions left other end with corrugated iron frontage. Refuse destructor derelict shell in 1977, generating station was standing and tramshed used as bus depot. Now converted to the Talk Electric Conference Centre. Not inspected (S1).
Evaluated as of regional rather than national importance (S1).

Recorded in gazetteer of significant Industrial Archaeological sites extracted from a 1980 booklet entitled 'Industrial Archaeology in and around Norfolk' and revised as 'Suffolk IA Sites in 1980' in Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter (SIAS Newsletter, 115, Nov 2011) where it is described as:
Tramway Depot and Power Station, Constantine Road. 8 Track depot built for electric trams in 1903. Now used for buses, but traces of tracks remain. Trolleybus depot, Priory Heath, Ipswich. Erected by Ipswich Corporation in 1936, the steel-framed building originally clad with asbestos sheeting is now the Ipswich Transport Museum. It incorporated workshops, paint shop and maintenance pits (now used by the museum for vehicle restoration) on one side and electricity sub-station and switchgear on the other. Now houses a large collection of buses and commercial vehicles as well as many exhibits relating to the town's former industries, including engineering (S2).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: English Heritage. 1995. English Heritage (Scheduling Section), letter & site assessment report. English Heritage (Scheduling Section), letter & site assessment report, Aug 95, map.
  • <S2> Article in serial: 2011. Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter, 115, Nov 2011.
  • <S3> Source Unchecked: Alderton D & Booker. 1980. Alderton D & Booker, 1980, 165. Alderton D & Booker, 1980, 165.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2001. English Heritage (Scheduling Section), letter & site assessment report. English Heritage (Scheduling Section), letter & site assessment report, Jul 2001, map.
  • <S5> Source Unchecked: Tucker, 1997. 1997. Tucker, 1997. Tucker, 1997.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Oct 11 2016 1:17PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.