Monument record BXT 025 - Boxted Park

Please read our .

Summary

Park shown on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk and on the Tithe Map of 1840.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 82864 50542 (955m by 1048m)
Map sheet TL85SW
Civil Parish BOXTED, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Park shown on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk and on the Tithe Map of 1840 (S1). Park subsequently expanded to area shown on 1926 OS 1:2500 map. Access road to the church has been changed since 1840 and the old road shows as an earthwork in the park, as do some field boundaries relating to a pre-park landscape (S2). The walled garden to the east of the Hall was in existence by 1840. The large pond with an island at the south end of the park (called 'fishpond' on the OS map of 1926) is not shown on the 1840 map. 1840 map does however have a sketch of a pavilion or summerhouse on the north side of the drain to the north of the fishpond.
A Terrier of 1631 refers to 'the warren of conies' at 'church hill lying by to the church' (S3).
See also Boxted Hall - BXT 004.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Suffolk Record Office (Bury) T151, 1, 2.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Tracing of part of (S1).
  • <S2> Photograph: OS, AP. OS, AP 89 11 07, March 1989.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Hervey A, 'Boxted Hall - Family of Poley', PSIA 3, No 3, 1863, 358-74.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 20 2012 11:47AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.