Monument record IPS 296 - Quaker Burial Ground, Tower Ramparts, Ipswich (IAS, 0201).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 16173 44787 (36m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Ipswich's first Quaker burial ground c. 1660 to early 18th Century (S1)(S2).
The Religious Society of Friends was founded by George Fox in the mid-seventeenth century and in 1669, they purchased a site that would be used as a burial ground at the Town Ditches in Ipswich. The first burial ground was located on "the Town Ditches" or "Tower Ditches", opposite Providence Street, now part of the carpark behind Marks and Spencer (S4)
- --- SSF54284 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 2000. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Former Cardinal Works Site, Ipswich..
- <S1> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 0201.
- <S2> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Norrington V, 1992.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 0201.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2016 2:43PM