Monument record BSE 162 - Almoner's Barns; Ginnings Barns (1740); Laundry Lane
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85826 63206 (91m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Range of three buildings to S of Bury named 'Almoner's Barns' on Thos Warren's map of Bury (S1). Buildings to S & SE appear barn size, building to NE (wihtin small separate enclosure) dwelling size. Site bisected by Cullum Road (bypass) in 1970s which probably destroyed any surviving traces of 'SE barn'. Buildings (used for storage of building materials), which appear C18/C19 survives in the area of the 'S barn' (recently renovated) and a house survives in the same location and alignment (to N of bypass) as the 'dwelling' on Warren's map (S2). Site name suggests pre-dissolution origins although named as Ginnings Barns on Downing's 1740 map with access road shown leading N and NE. Also see early OS plots (S4).
A record of a meeting held on 10 August 1665, discussing the possible need for a pest house for plague victims, states: "It is ordered that the greate barne called Almoners Barne belonginge to the corporacon bee used for thta purpose it beinge thought to bee the most convenient place aboute the towne and the corporacon havenge noe use for the said Barne this yeare" (S5).
Further documentary research and building examination of house needed.
- <S1> SSF50054 Map: Warren T, map, Survey of the Borough of St Edmund's Bury, 1776 (1747 act date).
- <S2> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SAU, Pendleton C, Site Visit, June 1998.
- <S3> SSF50054 Map: Downing A, map, 'Plan of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1740.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2,500 maps, 1904 & 1886.
- <S5> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Bury Corporation Book, Beginning 30 December 1653 and ending 20 August 1691, SRO (Bury), D4/1/2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 1999 12:00AM