Monument record BSE 179 - Land to rear of 71 Guildhall Street; St Andrew Street South (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85228 63946 (20m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
April 2000: Monitoring of construction on a property straddling the Bury St Edmunds medieval town ditch revealed a chalk bank sealing a buried brown sandy soil. The foundations of the town (Med) wall may show in section but identification is uncertain (S1).
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S2).
- <S1> SSF50017 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Site Report. SAU, Tester A, SCCAS Report, 00/32, September 2000, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2012 3:50PM